Ingredients and Preparation
To make this ham and cheese danish, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Kosher salt
- Whole milk
- Cooked ham
- Fresh spinach
- Swiss cheese
- A large egg white
Thaw the puff pastry according to the package instructions and preheat your oven to 400°F.
Next, prepare the creamy mixture by melting butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and salt, stirring constantly until well combined. Pour in the milk and continue stirring until the mixture thickens. Make sure to whisk vigorously to avoid any lumps.
Once the mixture has thickened, remove from heat and season with pepper to taste. Stir in the cooked ham, fresh spinach, and Swiss cheese until well combined.
Now, it’s time to assemble the danish. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the thawed puff pastry sheets. Cut the pastry into squares of your desired size.
Place a spoonful of the ham and cheese mixture onto each square. Fold the pastry over the filling to create a triangle shape and seal the edges by pressing with a fork.
Whisk the egg white in a small bowl and brush it over the folded pastry to give it a golden and shiny appearance.
Bake the ham and cheese danish in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and puffed.
Once baked, remove from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy these delicious ham and cheese danishes warm or at room temperature.
Serving and Storage
These ham and cheese danishes are best enjoyed fresh, but if you have leftovers, you can refrigerate them. They will last 2-3 days in the refrigerator, although the puff pastry may lose some of its crispiness. To reheat, warm them up in the air fryer or oven. You can also prepare the danishes ahead of time and keep them in the fridge, covered in plastic wrap, for up to 24 hours before baking and serving. Just be aware that this may affect the baking time.
Variations and Tips
Customize your delicious Ham and Cheese Danish Recipe with these variations and tips to create a unique and flavorful treat:
- Explore Different Cheeses: While the recipe calls for Swiss cheese, you can experiment with other types of cheese like cheddar or gouda. Each cheese will bring its own distinct flavor profile to the danish, allowing you to tailor it to your taste preferences.
- Add Extra Ingredients: Enhance the flavors of your danish by incorporating additional ingredients. Caramelized onions or bell peppers can add a touch of sweetness or a subtle crunch. Feel free to get creative and try other ingredients that complement the ham and cheese filling.
- Experiment with Herbs and Spices: Elevate the taste of your danish by experimenting with different herbs and spices. Fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary can bring a fragrant aroma, while spices like paprika or cayenne pepper can add a hint of heat. Don’t be afraid to spice things up!
- Handle Puff Pastry with Care: To achieve optimal flakiness, handle the puff pastry gently and keep it cold. Thaw the pastry properly according to the package instructions and avoid overworking the dough. This will ensure your danish has the perfect texture when baked.
- Avoid Overstuffing: When spooning the ham and cheese mixture onto the puff pastry squares, be cautious not to overstuff them. Overstuffing can lead to leaks during baking, compromising the appearance and structure of the danish. Maintain a balance between the filling and the pastry for the best results.
|Customize the cheese
|Handle the puff pastry gently
|Add extra ingredients
|Avoid overworking the dough
|Experiment with herbs and spices
|Don’t overstuff the danishes
Don’t be afraid to get creative and put your own spin on this classic recipe. By exploring different variations and following these helpful tips, you can take your Ham and Cheese Danish to a whole new level of deliciousness.
Indulge in the delectable delight of an easy ham and cheese Danish recipe for a scrumptious breakfast or brunch. This versatile dish features a buttery and flaky puff pastry that encases a tantalizing blend of ham, cheese, and spinach. Perfect for utilizing leftover holiday ham or crafting a special meal, this recipe is a quick and simple solution for satisfying your cravings for savory and cheesy treats. Revel in the delightful flavors and experience breakfast bliss with every bite of this ham and cheese Danish recipe.
Whether you’re sharing it with family or impressing friends, this ham and cheese Danish is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. The combination of the rich, buttery pastry with the savory ham, melty cheese, and vibrant spinach creates a harmonious medley of flavors that will leave you wanting more. With its ease of preparation and the ability to customize the filling to your taste, this recipe offers endless possibilities for experimentation and personalization. Elevate your breakfast or brunch experience with this irresistible ham and cheese Danish.
In just a few simple steps, you can enjoy the blissful combination of ham, cheese, and pastry in the form of a delectable Danish. Whether you’re savoring it alongside a hot cup of coffee or serving it as the star of your brunch spread, this recipe guarantees a satisfying start to your day. So go ahead and treat yourself to the irresistible allure of this easy ham and cheese Danish recipe. Your taste buds will thank you.
Can I use a different type of cheese in this recipe?
Yes, you can customize the filling by using different types of cheese like cheddar or gouda.
Can I add additional ingredients to the filling?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with additional ingredients like caramelized onions or bell peppers.
Are there any tips for working with puff pastry?
It’s important to handle the puff pastry gently and keep it cold to achieve optimal flakiness. Thaw the pastry properly and avoid overstuffing the danishes to prevent leaks during baking.
How long can I store the ham and cheese danishes?
The danishes can be refrigerated for 2-3 days, although the puff pastry may lose some crispiness. To reheat, warm them up in the air fryer or oven.
Can I prepare the danishes ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the danishes up to 24 hours ahead of time and keep them in the fridge, covered in plastic wrap, before baking and serving. Note that this may affect the baking time.