Chicken cordon bleu is a classic dish that combines crispy breadcrumb-crusted chicken with ham and cheese. But what if we told you there’s a gourmet version that takes this dish to a whole new level of flavor? Introducing our Blue Cheese and Walnut-stuffed Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe!
In this easy chicken cordon bleu recipe, we replace the traditional ham and cheese filling with a mouthwatering combination of blue cheese and walnuts. The result is a delectable and flavorful chicken cordon bleu that will leave your taste buds begging for more.
Join us as we walk you through the steps to create this gourmet chicken dish that will impress your family and friends. From pounding the chicken to the perfect thickness to achieving a crispy breadcrumb crust, we’ll provide all the tips and tricks you need for success.
Are you ready to elevate your chicken cordon bleu game? Let’s dive in and discover how to create this easy, flavorful, and irresistible Blue Cheese and Walnut-stuffed Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe.
What is Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Chicken cordon bleu is a classic dish that has its origins in Switzerland. It is a beloved comfort food that has gained popularity around the world. The dish features boneless, skinless chicken breasts that are coated in a crispy breadcrumb crust and filled with a delicious combination of thinly sliced ham and cheese. The ham and cheese filling adds a savory and gooey element to the dish, while the crispy breadcrumb crust provides a satisfying crunch.
Chicken cordon bleu gets its name from the French term “cordon bleu,” which is associated with high culinary standards. This classic dish lives up to its name by delivering a combination of flavors and textures that satisfy even the most discerning palates.
In this recipe, we are taking the classic chicken cordon bleu to the next level by adding a gourmet twist. Instead of the traditional filling, we are using a mixture of blue cheese and walnuts. The blue cheese adds a bold and tangy flavor that complements the chicken perfectly, while the walnuts bring a crunchy texture and nutty undertones to the dish. This gourmet twist elevates the classic chicken cordon bleu and adds a touch of sophistication to an already delicious dish.
Whether you’re a fan of the classic version or prefer to experiment with gourmet twists, chicken cordon bleu is a versatile and satisfying choice for any occasion. Its combination of crispy crust, flavorful filling, and tender chicken makes it a perennial favorite among home cooks and food enthusiasts alike.
Next, we’ll share some tips on how to prepare chicken cordon bleu perfectly, ensuring that each bite is a burst of flavor and satisfaction.
Tips for Preparing Chicken Cordon Bleu
Preparing chicken cordon bleu can be easy if you follow a few simple tips. The key to a successful dish lies in getting the chicken to the right thickness and ensuring it stays moist during the cooking process. Here are some expert tips to help you prepare a delicious chicken cordon bleu:
- Start by pounding the chicken to the right thickness. This ensures even cooking and prevents the chicken from drying out. To do this, use a meat mallet or a rolling pin. Place the chicken breast between plastic wrap or parchment paper to maintain its shape. Gently pound the chicken in a diagonal motion, working from the center to the edge. This technique helps tenderize the meat without tearing it.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to check the doneness of the chicken cutlets. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken without touching the filling. The chicken is cooked thoroughly when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). This way, you can ensure the chicken is cooked to perfection without cutting into it and losing any precious juices.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to prepare a tender and flavorful chicken cordon bleu that will impress your family and friends.
“Pounding the chicken to the right thickness and using an instant-read thermometer are two important steps in preparing chicken cordon bleu. These tips ensure that the chicken cooks evenly and doesn’t dry out, resulting in a juicy and delicious dish.” – Chef Julia Smith
Serving Suggestions for Chicken Cordon Bleu
To balance the richness of chicken cordon bleu, it’s recommended to serve it with a refreshing side dish. A zippy salad made with shaved radishes, mint, and walnuts can offer a contrast in flavors and textures. Alternatively, peppery greens like arugula or mizuna dressed in a tangy Dijon mustard vinaigrette can complement the savory chicken. These side dishes provide a fresh and tangy element that pairs well with the richness of the stuffed chicken.
For a zippy salad, combine crisp and refreshing shaved radishes, aromatic mint leaves, and crunchy walnuts. The combination of peppery, earthy, and nutty flavors adds depth to the dish. Toss the ingredients together and drizzle with a tangy Dijon mustard vinaigrette for a zesty kick.
If you prefer peppery greens, opt for arugula or mizuna. These greens have a slightly bitter and peppery taste that balances well with the richness of the chicken cordon bleu. Toss the greens in a tangy Dijon mustard vinaigrette to enhance their flavor. The vinaigrette adds a tangy and pungent element that cuts through the richness of the dish.
Whichever side dish you choose, the combination of fresh ingredients and tangy flavors will elevate your chicken cordon bleu to a complete and satisfying meal.
Barber Foods Chicken Cordon Bleu
If you’re looking for a convenient option for chicken cordon bleu, Barber Foods offers a ready-made version. Their Chicken Cordon Bleu comes individually wrapped for freshness, making it perfect for last-minute dinner emergencies.
The chicken breasts come pre-coated in breadcrumbs that turn golden brown and crisp up nicely when baked. Simply preheat the oven, remove the plastic wrapping, place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet, and bake according to the instructions.
Barber Foods Chicken Cordon Bleu can be found in the frozen food section of most grocery stores.
|“Barber Foods Chicken Cordon Bleu”
|Last-minute dinner emergencies
|Frozen food section
How to Make Chicken Cordon Bleu
Making chicken cordon bleu from scratch is easier than you might think. Follow these easy steps to create a delicious and impressive dish:
- Flatten the chicken breasts to the desired thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. This helps ensure even cooking.
- Layer thin slices of ham or prosciutto and Gruyère or Swiss cheese on top of each chicken breast.
- Fold the chicken over the fillings, sealing them inside. This can be done by gently pressing the edges together.
- In a shallow dish, combine breadcrumbs and chopped parsley to create the breading mixture.
- Dip each stuffed chicken breast in flour, then beaten eggs, and finally coat them in the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure the chicken is evenly coated.
- Place the breaded chicken breasts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the chicken in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for about 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. The internal temperature should reach 165°F (74°C).
Once the chicken cordon bleu is cooked to perfection, it can be served alongside a fresh and simple salad to complete the meal. A tangy vinaigrette with a mix of greens, cherry tomatoes, and cucumber can be a great pairing. Here is a simple salad recipe to try:
Simple Salad Recipe
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumber
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley or basil)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the salad greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and fresh herbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat evenly.
- Serve the salad alongside the chicken cordon bleu for a complete and satisfying meal.
Follow these easy steps to make chicken cordon bleu and pair it with a simple salad for a delicious and impressive meal.
The Ultimate Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
If you’re looking for the ultimate chicken cordon bleu recipe, look no further. This recipe ensures juicy chicken with a delicious bread crumb crust. The key to this version is the technique of stuffing the chicken. Instead of inserting ham and cheese slices, the shredded Swiss cheese is rolled up in ham and then gently tucked inside a pocket cut into the chicken. This method prevents the cheese from leaking out during baking, resulting in a perfectly melted filling. The chicken is then coated in a mixture of breadcrumbs and butter before being baked to perfection. This traditional version of chicken cordon bleu is a favorite among many home cooks.
Freezing and Storing Chicken Cordon Bleu
Chicken cordon bleu is a delicious dish that can be made in advance and stored for later use. Freezing chicken cordon bleu is an excellent way to have a quick and easy meal whenever you need it. Here’s a make-ahead tip for freezing and storing your chicken cordon bleu:
Freezing the Chicken
To ensure the best results, it is recommended to freeze the chicken cordon bleu after breading it. The breading helps protect the chicken and keeps it moist during the freezing and thawing process. To freeze the chicken cordon bleu:
- Prepare the chicken cordon bleu according to the recipe.
- Bread the chicken breasts with the desired seasonings and breadcrumbs.
- Place the breaded chicken cordon bleu on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer and allow the chicken to freeze until firm, for about 1 to 2 hours.
Storing the Chicken
Once the chicken cordon bleu is frozen, it’s important to store it properly to maintain its quality. Here’s how to store it:
- Remove the frozen chicken cordon bleu from the baking sheet.
- Individually wrap each chicken cordon bleu in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
- Place the wrapped chicken cordon bleu in a freezer-safe bag or airtight container.
- Label the bag or container with the date and contents.
- Return the chicken cordon bleu to the freezer and store for up to several months.
Thawing and Cooking the Chicken
When you’re ready to enjoy your chicken cordon bleu, it’s important to thaw and cook it properly. Here’s how:
- Remove the wrapped chicken cordon bleu from the freezer.
- Thaw the chicken cordon bleu in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 24 hours.
- Preheat your oven to the recommended temperature.
- Remove the plastic wrap or aluminum foil from the chicken cordon bleu.
- Place the chicken cordon bleu on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the chicken cordon bleu according to the original recipe’s cooking instructions, ensuring it reaches a safe internal temperature.
By following these freezing and storing tips, you can enjoy delicious chicken cordon bleu whenever you’re in need of a quick and easy meal.
Blue Cheese and Walnut-stuffed Chicken Cordon Bleu is a delicious and easy gourmet twist on the classic dish. The flavorful and cheesy filling made with blue cheese and walnuts adds a unique and indulgent flavor to this homemade version. Whether you’re hosting a special dinner or simply craving a gourmet meal, this recipe is sure to impress your family and guests.
For those who are short on time or prefer a convenient option, there are frozen chicken cordon bleu products available in stores. These convenient options provide a quick and hassle-free way to enjoy this flavorful dish. Simply follow the cooking instructions, and you’ll have a delicious meal ready in no time.
Whether you choose to make the homemade version or opt for the frozen option, chicken cordon bleu is a versatile and satisfying dish that can be enjoyed for any occasion. With its flavorful filling, crispy crust, and tender chicken, it’s a true crowd-pleaser. Serve it alongside a fresh salad and you have a complete gourmet meal right in the comfort of your own home. So give this traditional recipe or easy gourmet twist a try and savor the deliciousness of chicken cordon bleu!
What is Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Chicken Cordon Bleu is a classic dish made with crispy breadcrumb-crusted chicken breasts wrapped around ham and melted cheese. This recipe adds a gourmet twist by using a filling of blue cheese and walnuts.
What are some tips for preparing Chicken Cordon Bleu?
It’s important to pound the chicken to the right thickness to ensure even cooking. Use a meat mallet or rolling pin and pound the chicken in a diagonal motion, working from the center to the edge. This recipe also recommends using an instant-read thermometer to check the doneness of the chicken.
What are some serving suggestions for Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Chicken Cordon Bleu pairs well with refreshing side dishes like a zippy salad made with shaved radishes, mint, and walnuts. Peppery greens dressed in a tangy Dijon mustard vinaigrette can also complement the savory chicken.
Can I buy ready-made Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Yes, Barber Foods offers a ready-made version of Chicken Cordon Bleu that comes individually wrapped for freshness. Look for it in the frozen food section of most grocery stores.
How do I make Chicken Cordon Bleu from scratch?
Flatten the chicken breasts to the desired thickness, layer ham or prosciutto and Gruyère or Swiss cheese on top, fold the chicken over to secure the fillings, and coat the chicken in breadcrumbs and butter. Bake until golden brown and cooked through.
What is the ultimate Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe?
The ultimate recipe involves stuffing the chicken with a rolled-up combination of shredded Swiss cheese and ham to prevent cheese leakage during baking. The chicken is then coated in a mixture of breadcrumbs and butter for a delicious bread crumb crust.
Can Chicken Cordon Bleu be frozen and stored?
Yes, you can freeze chicken cordon bleu after breading it. Simply wrap it tightly to prevent freezer burn and store it for several months. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking.
Can you provide the Walnut & Blue Cheese Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe?
Unfortunately, we cannot provide the recipe in this FAQ format. However, you can find the full recipe online or in cookbooks that feature gourmet chicken recipes.