Welcome to your new go-to recipe for a delicious and easy cheesy ham and potato casserole. This savory dish is packed with flavor and will satisfy even the heartiest appetite. Whether you’re looking for a comforting dinner or a crowd-pleasing brunch option, this recipe has got you covered.
When it comes to the star ingredients of this casserole, it’s all about the ham and potatoes. The combination of tender cooked ham and creamy, cheesy potatoes creates a mouthwatering dish that is perfect for any occasion. Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover ham from your holiday feast.
To make this casserole, you’ll need Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, cooked ham, white cheddar cheese, smoked paprika, ground mustard, parsley, milk, butter, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, and flour. The potatoes are briefly pre-cooked before being layered with the ham and cheese sauce. The creamy sauce is made with butter, garlic, onion, milk, flour, and spices, bringing all the flavors together.
One of the best things about this recipe is its versatility. You can easily customize it to suit your taste preferences. If you’re a fan of smoky flavors, try using smoked gouda or gruyere cheese instead of white cheddar. And if you like a little heat, add some sliced jalapeños or a dash of hot sauce.
This cheesy ham and potato casserole can also be prepared ahead of time, making it a convenient option for busy days. Simply assemble the casserole, cover it, and refrigerate overnight. When you’re ready to bake it, just let it come to room temperature and pop it in the oven. It’s a great option for meal prepping or entertaining.
So get ready to indulge in a hearty and cheesy ham and potato casserole. It’s a recipe that will become a staple in your kitchen, providing comfort and flavor in every bite. Whether you’re craving a cozy dinner or a brunch feast, this recipe has got you covered.
Ingredients and Preparation
In order to make a delicious homemade ham and potato casserole, you will need a handful of key ingredients. Gather the following items:
- Potatoes: Choose Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, which are perfect for creating a tender and creamy casserole.
- Cooked Ham: Use leftover ham from a previous meal or purchase pre-cooked ham from your local grocery store.
- White Cheddar Cheese: Opt for sharp white cheddar cheese to add a rich and tangy flavor to your dish.
- Smoked Paprika: This spice adds a subtle smoky flavor to the casserole.
- Ground Mustard: Enhance the overall taste with a hint of ground mustard.
- Parsley: Fresh parsley adds a touch of color and freshness to the casserole.
- Milk: Use whole milk for a creamy and velvety texture.
- Butter: A small amount of butter is necessary to create a luscious sauce.
- Garlic and Onion: Sautéing these aromatic ingredients will infuse the dish with incredible flavor.
- Salt and Pepper: Season the casserole to taste with salt and pepper.
- Flour: To thicken the sauce and create a smooth consistency, use all-purpose flour.
Now that you have all the ingredients ready, it’s time to prepare your quick and easy cheesy ham and potato casserole. Follow these simple steps:
- Peel and chop the potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Par-boil them for a few minutes until slightly tender.
- Cube or slice the cooked ham and shred the white cheddar cheese.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and sauté the garlic and onion until fragrant.
- Add the flour to the saucepan and cook for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Slowly pour in the milk while whisking to prevent lumps from forming. Continue whisking until the sauce thickens.
- Season the sauce with smoked paprika, ground mustard, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- In a baking dish, combine the par-boiled potatoes, ham, and shredded cheese.
- Pour the creamy sauce over the potato and ham mixture, ensuring everything is well coated.
- Bake the casserole in a preheated oven until bubbly and golden.
Once cooked, allow the casserole to cool for a few minutes before serving. This homemade ham and potato casserole is a quick and easy dish that will impress your family and friends with its creamy texture and rich flavors.
Make-Ahead and Serving Suggestions
The cheesy ham and potato casserole is a versatile dish that can be prepared ahead of time, making it perfect for busy schedules. After assembling the casserole, you can cover it and refrigerate it overnight, ensuring an easy and stress-free meal the next day. When you’re ready to bake, simply let the casserole come to room temperature for about 30 minutes before placing it in the oven.
If you prefer to have the casserole on hand for later use, it can also be frozen before or after baking. Before freezing, make sure to use a freezer-safe container and tightly wrap the casserole with foil or plastic wrap. When you’re ready to enjoy it, allow the casserole to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating it in the oven.
Now, let’s talk about delicious ways to serve this creamy ham and potato casserole. It’s a fantastic option for brunch, especially when paired with fresh fruit, eggs, and bacon or sausage. The creamy and cheesy flavors of the casserole complement the classic breakfast items, making it a crowd-pleasing choice.
Alternatively, you can also serve the casserole for dinner. Accompany it with green side dishes like steamed green beans or asparagus to balance out the richness of the dish. The creamy ham and potato casserole also pairs well with lighter mains such as crab cakes, seared scallops, or baked lemon herb salmon.
|Serve with fresh fruit, eggs, and bacon or sausage.
|Pair with steamed green beans or asparagus.
|Accompany with crab cakes, seared scallops, or baked lemon herb salmon.
Image shows a delicious, creamy ham and potato casserole with a golden cheese topping.
Whether you’re planning a hearty brunch or a comforting dinner, this creamy ham and potato casserole is sure to delight your taste buds. Its rich and cheesy flavors combined with tender potatoes and savory ham make it a crowd-pleasing favorite. With the option to make it ahead of time, you can enjoy the convenience of this delicious dish whenever you desire.
The delicious ham and potato casserole recipe can be customized to suit different palates and preferences. By experimenting with various ingredients and flavors, you can create unique twists on this classic dish, including:
- Adding a spicy kick by incorporating chili powder or red pepper flakes into the spice mix
- Substituting cheddar cheese with pepper jack cheese for a tangier flavor
- Replacing ham with cooked sausage or bacon to enhance the savory taste
- Intensifying the flavor profile by adding bacon crumbles, sliced jalapeños, broccoli, or peppers to the casserole
To give your ham and potato casserole a finishing touch, consider garnishing it with fresh parsley, green onion, chives, or even a drizzle of hot sauce for an added burst of flavor. The versatility of this dish allows you to get creative and tailor it according to your personal taste preferences.
Cheese and Ingredient Substitutions
|Effect on Flavor
|Pepper Jack Cheese instead of Cheddar
|Provides a spicier and tangier taste to the casserole
|Cooked Sausage or Bacon instead of Ham
|Enhances the savory notes and adds a different meat flavor
|Addition of Bacon Crumbles, Sliced Jalapeños, Broccoli, or Peppers
|Intensifies the overall flavor and adds additional texture
This hearty cheesy ham and potato casserole is a crowd-pleasing comfort food that can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch, or dinner. With its creamy sauce, tender potatoes, and savory ham, it’s a delicious way to use up leftover ham and create a satisfying meal.
The recipe is easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time, making it a convenient option for busy schedules. Whether served as a main dish or a side, this cheesy ham and potato casserole is sure to be a hit with family and friends.
So why not try this creamy ham and potato casserole for your next gathering? Its rich flavors and comforting appeal are sure to impress!
Can I use different types of cheese for this cheesy ham and potato casserole?
Absolutely! While the recipe calls for white cheddar cheese, you can experiment with other delicious choices like smoked gouda or gruyere.
Can I make this ham and potato casserole ahead of time?
Yes! This casserole is great for making ahead. Simply assemble it, cover, and refrigerate overnight. When ready to bake, let it come to room temperature for about 30 minutes before placing it in the oven.
Can I freeze this cheesy ham and potato casserole?
Yes, you can freeze this casserole before or after baking. Just make sure to properly store it in an airtight container or freezer-friendly dish. When ready to enjoy, thaw it in the refrigerator before reheating.
What are some serving suggestions for this creamy ham and potato casserole?
This casserole pairs well with fresh fruit and eggs for a hearty brunch. For dinner, serve it alongside green side dishes like steamed green beans or asparagus. It also complements lighter mains like crab cakes, seared scallops, or baked lemon herb salmon.
How can I customize this ham and potato casserole recipe?
There are many ways to customize this recipe to suit your taste. You can add spices like chili powder or red pepper flakes for a bit of heat. Consider using pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar for a spicier twist. You can also substitute cooked sausage or bacon for the ham. For added flavor, mix in ingredients such as bacon crumbles, sliced jalapenos, broccoli, or peppers. Garnish with fresh parsley, green onions, chives, or a drizzle of hot sauce for extra flair.